Community Connections: Edible Education
August 5-8, 2021
“Right there, in the middle of every school day, lies time and energy already devoted to the feeding of children. We have the power to turn that daily school lunch from an afterthought into a joyous education, a way of caring for our health, our environment, and our community.” Alice Waters, The Edible School Yard
This hands-on class will explore our food systems from farm to table, giving pre-service and classroom teachers ideas and resources to help students understand how our food production and consumption relates to personal health and our natural environment. Participants will spend 4 days of hands-on professional development on Quillisascut Farm in Rice Washington learning how school gardens, farmers markets and connecting with local food sources offers opportunities for environmental education.
• Learn about sustainable agriculture and how our food choices have a profound effect on humans, animals, and the environment.
• Hands-on environmental learning about biodiversity and our food environment.
• Basic gardening (composting, direct seeding, transplanting.)
• Integrating small livestock (honeybees and chickens.)
• Bringing it into the kitchen: the flip side of growing produce is how to handle it properly,
food safety (food born hazards) and how to prepare it into a nutritious and tasty meal.
• Integrating gardening and food into health, reading, writing, art, social studies, culture,
science, and math to meet required learning standards. (Intertwine current instruction
with garden and food experiences.)
• Gardens and food as carriers of culture.
• Simple ways to tap into and learn from your local food system.
August 5-8 8:00am-5:00pm Quillisascut Farm in Rice, WA
Pre and post session requirements: Participants will be given a list of print, audio, and/or video materials to prepare for the farm stay. Following the workshop, they will be asked to turn in a short summary of positive ideas they plan to put into practice in their classrooms and lives.
Cost: $375 Includes course instruction, materials, speakers, meals and lodging
(45 Clock Hours)
Edible Ed 2021 Flyer and Application Flyer and Application